Well, my first EDC3100 assignment has been submitted! Time to focus on Assignment 2! This assignment is based around planning a unit, which is something that I’m actually looking forward to! As the learning paths have been going on, I have been completing the appropriate corresponding questions, in order to figure out the different components for where I would like to take this unit. I’d like to share an idea I have for my unit about family trees, aptly named ‘Identi-me!’. This is what I have so far for my unit:
- Small rural Catholic school located in the Northern Rivers, NSW
- Diverse backgrounds for staff and students, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island, Filipino, Pacific Islander, Indian and Sudanese.
- Each classroom has a variety of ICT, which includes access to Internet Access, an Interactive Whiteboard, a school computer lab that has 35 computers, 2 classroom computers, and a classroom set of iPads.
- Teacher aides are present in the classroom for spelling and reading activities, as well as mathematics classes.
- Parents assist within the classroom as well with reading groups.
- Teachers in the same year level share teaching roles, and swap classes around to work on their ‘favourite’ or preferred subject, therefore enabling students to enjoy subjects more thoroughly.
- Year level classes are combined with core subjects, to ensure learning abilities are matched and combined together to produce more effective outcomes in the classroom – students go to the class that best suits their ability.
- Class is a mixed gender consisting of 28 students with varying skills and abilities in ICT
- 4 students have additional needs, including dyslexia, Autism Spectrum Disorder, ADHD, and speech/language disorders.
- All students have regular access to different forms of ICT at home.
- Humanities and Social Sciences / History / Foundation Year / Historical Knowledge and Understanding / Personal and family histories / ACHHK001: Who the people in their family are, where they were born and raised and how they are related to each other
- Humanities and Social Sciences / History / Foundation Year / Historical Skills / Explanation and communication / ACHHS022: Use a range of communication forms (oral, graphic, written, role play) and digital technologies
At the beginning of the unit, students will learn about:
- What a family tree is
- How we can show our family’s history by using a family tree
- Where members in our family are born, and how they are related
By the end of the unit, students should be able to:
- Create a family tree going back at least three generations (including their own generation)
- Use an ICT such as a computer or iPad to create a labelled diagram of this, by utilising text boxes and images, as well as taking photos with cameras/iPads to upload for each family tree.
- Visual Knowledge – Understand how visual elements create meaning (ACHHS002).
- Composing texts through speaking, writing and creating – Compose spoken, written, visual and multimodal learning area texts (ACHHS002)
Information and communication technology capability
- Creating with ICT – Generate ideas, plans and processes (ACHHS002)
- Communicating with ICT – Collaborate, share and exchange (ACHHS002)
Critical and Creative Thinking
- Inquiring – identifying, exploring and organising information and ideas – Identify and clarify information and ideas (ACHHK001)
Personal and Social Capability
- Self-awareness – Recognise personal qualities and achievements (ACHHK001)
Let me know what your thoughts are!!